MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATIONS MANAGEMENT
Degree Code: D66
Degree Name: MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATIONS MANAGEMENT
Degree Duration: 2 years | Schedule of Intakes: September
Support Staff: Tel. 020-4919012, 020-4918249 | Emails: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Entrepreneurship and innovation management represent the most important engines of value and new wealth creation in the contemporary economy. The Master of Science degree in Entrepreneurship and Innovations Management of the University of Nairobi is designed to give business managers and professionals a focused, relevant and utilizable body of knowledge in entrepreneurship and innovation management, suitable for people with an interest in starting and managing innovative ventures either within existing structures or by realizing new economic endeavours. As most corporations today realize that they need to be more innovative and entrepreneurial, the programme is positioned to prepare participants to help meet this challenge. The Master of Science degree in Entrepreneurship and Innovations Management is, therefore, devised in a way that can be utilized to position oneself for a fast-track career in innovative companies. The degree programme seeks to equip participants with requisite skills and knowledge for managing start-up businesses as well as successful entrepreneurial and -innovative management of existing enterprises. The degree is intended to develop high caliber manpower for developing entrepreneurship through research, policy and practice. The program is suited for people who hold senior managerial positions as well as those who intend to take up careers in advisory roles in entrepreneurship-related programmes. The programme offers students an opportunity to learn about and work directly with entrepreneurial firms. The programme also provides excellent preparation for students wishing to obtain an integrated view of business operations.
The programme specifically aims to:
i) Enable the student to develop expertise in new venture creation and management
ii) Enhance corporate entrepreneurship in mature enterprises
iii) Inculcate into the student the culture of creativity, innovation, and innovations management
iv) Enable the student to develop competency in the development and management of SMEs
v) Develop and enhance competency in research and consultancy on SMEs
Mode of Delivery:
There will be two modes of delivery that will promote actively student engagement namely;-
The program has a rich component of face-to-face delivery in which students will be expected to attend and participate in class, in the evenings and on weekends. Instructions shall be given in the form of lectures, lecture discussions, class presentations, seminars, demonstrations, fieldwork, case studies, student-lecturer consultations, supervised independent research, or any combination of these. Students shall undergo continuous assessment in each taught course in each semester, which shall take the form of written tests, term papers, oral presentations, field assignments, or any combination of these.
The program is offered as part-time and through Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODEL) basis. The part-time program is designed to accommodate the special needs of those in full-time employment or those who have other demands on their time, while ODeL will involve mainly home and/or office-based e-learning media.
- he programme consists of eighteen (18) taught course units that constitute Part I, while a Research Project constitutes Part II, which is equivalent to six (6) taught course units.
- The minimum duration for the programme shall be four (4) semesters, while the maximum duration shall be fifteen (15) semesters, and will involve coursework, examinations and the Research Project.
- A candidate shall be allowed to take a maximum of six (6) course units and a minimum of two (2) course units in any given semester.
- The programme is offered through a face-to-face mode of delivery; each course unit shall be taught for forty five (45) contact hours.
- There will be twelve (12) core course units, which shall be taken by all candidates.
- In addition to the core course units, candidates will be required to take four (4) specialization course units in a chosen thematic area, and two (2) elective course units. Specialization course units allow a student to concentrate in their chosen thematic area, while Elective course units provide options for additional knowledge in other areas of interest, not necessarily in their chosen thematic area.
- Electives may be chosen from the list of elective course units in any area of study, or from specialization course units from a different thematic area, that would now count as electives.
- Course units can only be taken after the prerequisites have been successfully completed.
- After completing Part I (all the taught course units – 12 core, 4 specialization elective course units, and 2 elective course units), candidates will carry out research and produce a project paper (Part II). Part II shall commence in the semester immediately succeeding successful completion of Part I. Once the project has started, it must be completed within the semester, or equivalent duration of six course units, with the maximum duration equivalent to the minimum load of two course units per semester. After completing the research project students will be required to make an oral defense of the same.
The common regulations for the Masters’ degree in the University of Nairobi shall apply. The following shall be eligible for admission:
i) Holder of at least an upper second class honors degree or equivalent in non-classified degrees in business and management-related disciplines.
ii) Holder of a lower second class honors degree or equivalent in non-classified degrees with at least two years of post-graduation on work experience and/or having relevant professional qualifications in business and management-related disciplines.
iii) Holder of a pass degree or equivalent in non-classified degrees with at least five years of post-graduation work experience and/or having relevant professional qualifications in business and management-related disciplines.
iv) Holder of any other qualifications acceptable by the University Senate.
Entrepreneurship- Personal Businesses
Fees and Funding
|ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATIONS MANAGEMENT D66|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|Sems 2,3,5,6,8or9||2 units||67,250.00|
|Sems 4,7 or 10||1 unit||57,250.00|
|if project registered in sem4-project fee||180,750.00|
|if project registered in sem5-project fee||158,250.00|